Dedication of monument held Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 24, 1949

Reprinted from the Nov. 30, 2000, Tri-County News. Originally published Nov. 17, 1949. Dedication ceremonies will be conducted at 4 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day for the granite monument recently erected to designate the site of the Old Fort at Maine Prairie Corners. The fort was erected in 1862 as a haven for the settlers at…

A ‘thank you’ and a tribute to veterans

Kimball School cannon, 1934. Front (left to right): Evelyn Rosenow, Helen Spaulding; back: Lynn Stanley, Clare Bradon and Claude McKenzie. In April of 1917, the first of Kimball’s young men to enlist in the First World War were George Adkins, John Spaulding and Robert Clay. Before the war was over, the Kimball area had contributed…

Kimball School Second Annual Homecoming

It’s the year 1939, and the celebration of the Second Annual Homecoming this year will be to honor the 26th anniversary of the Kimball High School. Plans are now nearly complete to make this a gala celebration and it is hoped that a large number of former students of this school will attend the reunion…

Labor Day has greatly evolved from uncertain origins

Historians debate true founder By Tom Emery, Historian This weekend, millions of Americans will hit the road, fire up the grill, and swarm to the beaches for the Labor Day weekend. The holiday has evolved dramatically from its origins, which are debated today. What is clear, though, is the designation of Labor Day as a…

St. Anne’s celebrates 100 years

By Jean Doran Matua, Editor The original plan was to hold a dinner and reception to celebrate the 100th anniversary of St. Anne’s Parish in Kimball. That would be Sept. 13, 2020, and the plan was to include this celebration in the annual parish festival that weekend. But along came COVID-19 and all plans were…

St. Anne’s 100th anniversary
In a ceremony somewhat subdued by COVID-19 restrictions, St. Anne’s Catholic Church in Kimball honored their 100th anniversary Sunday afternoon, July 26.It started with a gathering of parishioners and friends in the parking lot, along with a cadre of church officials. They then proceeded into the church for a special mass. Watch for more details…
Auxiliary Presidents History

The Auxiliary Unit 261, Kimball, was organized at the home of Mrs. C. D. Brower June 1920. The first meeting in July 1920 was at the homeof Mrs. W. H. Metcalf. Presidents are nominated and voted in by the members of the Auxiliary. 

20 years since the unthinkable happened

By Jean Doran Matua, Editor The original events occurred overnight April 1, 2000. Just six miles and six hours apart, the Ostmark Lutheran Church in rural Watkins burned to the ground, as did a home in rural Kingston. No one was injured in the church fire, but three bodies were found in the house fire…

Kimball Legion 100-year celebration postponed

The planning committee for our 100-year celebration has decided to postpone our party until further notice during these uncertain times. We will still plan for the celebration at a later date. Thank you for your support and patience. For God and Country Kimball Legion Planning Committee

The American Legion Auxiliary through the decades

We reflect strongly on our bond with The American Legion. We have strengthened our close ties and jointly identify as a “Legion Family,” along with Sons of The American Legion and the Legion Riders. 1919 – 1st National Convention: The American Legion authorized the establishment of a women’s auxiliary. 1920 – A.L.A. goes from zero…

Tri-County News

Copyright 2019, Tri-County News..............Tel. (320) 398-5000..............Email news@tricountynews.mn