On Feb. 11, Deputy Aaron Wells responded to a shed fire in the 18000 block of 260th Street in Collegeville Township. The caller, a passerby, reported the fire to the Stearns County Sheriff’s Office at 11:44 a.m. The caller also made contact with the property owner. The shed was approximately 30×46 and was 100 feet away from the residence.
The Chain of Lakes Fire Department responded to the call. Deputy Wells arrived at the location and made contact with a firefighter who was already on scene and evaluating the situation. The shed contained two cars and a four-wheeler along with the usual assortment of items kept in a garage; most of these items are also fairly flammable. Deputy Wells also observed black smoke coming from the rafters when he arrived. The fire department arrived on scene a short time later and the fire was extinguished.
It appears from the photos that the four-wheeler took the brunt of the damage in this fire. The interior of the shed sustained some damage and items still inside were covered with a layer of soot. Thankfully in this case there were no injuries.
While Deputy Wells did not cite a potential cause of the fire in his report, it is a good time to remind folks that, during this time of refreshing cold weather, they should be monitoring their heating equipment, like furnaces, space heaters, boilers, and other items. They tend to get a bit of a workout in this weather and, like most equipment, they tend to present problems at the most inconvenient time.