A new archery range is open in the Stearns County park system. An archery range opened at Oak Township Park, located in Melrose at 33685 County Road 12, which is about 1½ miles south of New Munich on County Road 12.
The archery range is open May through October, each day 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset.
Ethan Kierzrk, an Eagle Scout, came to the Stearns County Parks Department with the idea to install archery houses and bags at Oak Township County Park. The Eagle Scout group completed their work in 2019. Park maintenance staff finished the parking lot and planted grass seed this spring. The archery bags were donated by Scheels.
Oak Township Park is 32 acres and contains a quarter mile of the Sauk River. The site was purchased in 1976 and was intended to provide public water access to the Sauk River. In 2017, property signs were posted, a culvert was put in, and the entrance road was made. A trail to the river and a canoe campsite are being developed.
Range safety rules
• Practice good sportsmanship.
• All persons must be clear of the range before shooting can begin.
• Arrows must be shot from designated shooting line and must be aimed and released only at the targets.
• All archers must shoot arrows at the same time.
• All archers must retrieve arrows at the same time.
• Archers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
• Only target field points may be used in provided targets.
• When searching for a lost arrow beyond the targets, place your bow in front of the target so that other archers are aware of your presence.
• Remove all litter, take with you what you brought.
• Please use the donation box as this helps maintain the range.
• All Stearns County Parks ordinances apply.